Hauling Swinging Meat
Bob Knoop
2004-01-09 19:51:18 UTC
Does anyone know of any fleets who still haul swinging beef in reefers? I'm
doing some research on training a driver to haul that commodity? Thanks for
any help.
Bob & Patty
2004-01-09 20:08:56 UTC
That's a good question.I don't know if anyone does this
anymore.
If it helps. Hang it low, pack it tight...don't do anything
stoopit around curves or turns.
Make believe youre pulling a food grade tanker with a half
load of water in it.
Post by Bob Knoop
doing some research on training a driver to haul that
commodity? Thanks for
Post by Bob Knoop
any help.
---
1/2/2004
Amy D
2004-01-10 20:42:36 UTC
I was thinking someone said they still hauled swinging meat in the
midwest <back in the tanker discussion> -- can't rememeber who. Most is
on pallets nowadays.

amy
Post by Bob Knoop
doing some research on training a driver to haul that
commodity? Thanks for
Post by Bob Knoop
any help.
---
1/2/2004
Mike
2004-01-09 20:03:11 UTC
I heard that its all in boxes theses days, driver
Zeke
2004-01-09 20:11:18 UTC
Post by Bob Knoop
doing some research on training a driver to haul that commodity? Thanks for
any help.
There is a company around here (SW Idaho) that does just that. They are
Navajo or Digby... one of the two.
They haul swinging beef from a plant south of Boise up to Wallula, WA IBP
plant.
X***@truckcop.org
2004-01-09 20:00:31 UTC
H & R Transport in Lethridge Alberta has come through hauling swinging beef.

Their DOT number is 184070
--
X715(at)truckcop.org
any help.
Gunluvver2
2004-01-09 20:55:57 UTC
Post by Bob Knoop
Does anyone know of any fleets who still haul swinging beef in reefers?
Any information I have on that subject may be outdated. From past experience
in both the beef packing business and pulling reefers for a couple years I
imagine about the only swinging going on trucks now is probably from the
smaller Kosher packers. Two of the Crete Carrier subsidiaries used to have a
few railers left (Sunflower and Schaffer) but that was several years ago. I
think everyone decided a few years back it just didn't make sense to pay
freight hauling bones around the country.
DL
David Ruff
DL
Dave in Chandler
2004-01-10 01:17:56 UTC
test
Fail
Dave in Chandler, AZ(nursing a badly broken leg)
Robert Stoddard
2004-01-14 00:43:19 UTC
IBP / Tyson haul swinging meat around the midwest. They own some plants
that just do the killing like the one in West Point, Neb. Then they ship
the carcesses to a different plant that will cut them down into box beef.
Post by Gunluvver2
test
DL
Richard
2004-01-10 00:41:04 UTC
Post by Bob Knoop
Does anyone know of any fleets who still haul swinging beef in reefers?
I'm doing some research on training a driver to haul that commodity?
Thanks for any help.
That's a rare animal today. Most all of the butcher places also package
their own meat.
bomar
2004-01-10 01:34:00 UTC
Swinging beef brings back memories.....
My dad died in an accident back in October of 1968 hauling swinging beef
for Wilson's out of Jopin MO.
Trailer rolled completely over the cab (Peterbuilt C/O) after he rounded a
series of s curves, crushing it.
any help.
s***@gmail.com
2019-03-01 00:20:17 UTC
Does anyone know of any of the names of the trucking companies that used to all swinging meat back in the 60s?
s***@gmail.com
2020-05-10 13:52:18 UTC
Use to haul swinging 70’s. & early80’s vitalis in Des Moines Ed Philip Des Moines & Montfort Denver
egpowers
2004-01-10 15:07:36 UTC
Post by Bob Knoop
Does anyone know of any fleets who still haul swinging beef in reefers? I'm
doing some research on training a driver to haul that commodity? Thanks for
any help.
There is a company out of Amarillo, Tx that hauls it regularly, in
fact there was an article about them in one of the magazines a few
months back. However, for the life of me I cannot remember the name
of the company, and I see their damn trucks everyday,
urgh...........need some ginko.
I'm not sure that Digby/Navajo still hauls swinging beef anymore.
p***@gmail.com
2016-02-12 14:32:05 UTC
Post by Bob Knoop
Does anyone know of any fleets who still haul swinging beef in reefers? I'm
doing some research on training a driver to haul that commodity? Thanks for
any help.
I have hauled lots of it back in the day. It Can be very dangerous. especially to a "Seasoned" driver.
With a seasoned hand at the wheel it can behave like a floor load So drivers for get themselves Like at the old curve at Duncomb Iowa or the old curve east of Rockwell city Iowa. on old US 20 and they take the curve like a floor load . OOPS When 40 some thousand pounds of beef suddenly shifts to one side Give your soul to God your ass belongs to the truck. You WILL go over. Just Keep in mind, if you Haul it, what you have in the trailer. If the sign says 40 go 30 or less if it says 30 go 15 or less Stay out of Heavy winds I don't care How much the load weighs. Hope this Helps ***@gmail.com
s***@yahoo.com
2018-12-17 22:06:46 UTC
I hauled it back in the late 70's driving for CLAY HYDER (Auburndale, Fla.) & REFRIGERATED TRANSPORT (Atlanta, Ga.) 40 ft. 'Rail Trailers'- I always tried to visualized a Card Table with a glass of water sitting on it in the trailer, & drove so as not to spill a drop or tip it over !! We hauled out of SWIFT, ARMOUR, IBP, MONFORT & some others. It pretty much went to Box Meat in the early 80's. You really had to stay on your toes & it felt SO good when ya finally got empty !!! I saw a trailer tip-over on the yard when a yard jockey pulled the trailer over a curb @ 2 mph !!!
Larry Sheldon
2018-12-18 00:05:24 UTC
Post by Bob Knoop
Does anyone know of any fleets who still haul swinging beef in reefers? I'm
doing some research on training a driver to haul that commodity? Thanks for
any help.
Old message!

How does that compare to a tank of gasoline? Or a dryvan full of bags
of water?
--
quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
-- Juvenal
Pabst Blue Ribbon
2018-12-25 20:52:12 UTC
Post by Larry Sheldon
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by Bob Knoop
Does anyone know of any fleets who still haul swinging beef in reefers? I'm
doing some research on training a driver to haul that commodity? Thanks for
any help.
I hauled it back in the late 70's driving for CLAY HYDER (Auburndale,
Fla.) & REFRIGERATED TRANSPORT (Atlanta, Ga.) 40 ft. 'Rail Trailers'- I
always tried to visualized a Card Table with a glass of water sitting
on it in the trailer, & drove so as not to spill a drop or tip it over
!! We hauled out of SWIFT, ARMOUR, IBP, MONFORT & some others. It
pretty much went to Box Meat in the early 80's. You really had to stay
on your toes & it felt SO good when ya finally got empty !!! I saw a
Old message!
How does that compare to a tank of gasoline? Or a dryvan full of bags
of water?
Top heavy load that's constantly moving. Very easy to tip it over. Better
slow down to 5-10 mph on them ramps.

I think they still do it in Europe, but not in US. Too many accidents.