OT only in America
Roughrider50
2004-08-21 20:48:06 UTC
Things Found Only in America

1. Only in America......can a pizza get to your house faster than an
ambulance.
2. Only in America......are there handicap parking places in front of a
skating rink.
3. Only in America......do drugstores make the sick walk all the way to the
back of the store to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy
cigarettes at the front.
4. Only in America......do people order double cheese burgers, large fries,
and a diet Coke.
5. Only in America......do banks leave both doors to the vault open and then
chain the pens to the counters.
6. Only in America......do we leave cars worth thousands of dollars in the
driveway and put our useless junk in the garage.
7. Only in America......do we use answering machines to screen calls and
then have call waiting so we won't miss a call from someone we didn't want
to talk to in the first place.
8. Only in America......do we buy hot dogs in packages of ten and buns in
packages of eight.
9. Only in America......do we use the word 'politics' to describe the
process so well: Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning
'bloodsucking creatures'.
10. Only in America......do they have drive-up ATM machines with Braille
lettering.

I didn't pen this....just copied :o)

Roughrider50

They say that Christopher Columbus was the first Democrat. When he left to
discover America, he didn't know where he was going. When he got there he
didn't know where he was. And it was all done on a government grant
J Odell
2004-08-22 00:19:20 UTC
How about this?

Subject: NAFTA

A car company can move its factories to Mexico and claim it's a free market.

A toy company can outsource to a Chinese subcontractor and claim it's a free
market.

A major bank can incorporate in Bermuda to avoid taxes and claim it's a free
market.

We can buy HP Printers made in Mexico.

We can buy shirts made in Bangladesh.

We can purchase almost anything we want from many different countries
BUT,heaven help the elderly who dare to buy their prescription drugs from a
Canadian (Or Mexican) pharmacy. That's called un-American!

And you think the pharmaceutical companies don't have a powerful lobby?

Think again!
Ramworker
2004-08-23 11:42:17 UTC
Post by J Odell
How about this?
A car company can move its factories to Mexico and claim it's a free market.
A toy company can outsource to a Chinese subcontractor and claim it's a free
market.
Only in America will you find shoppers going into a Curtis Mathes store to
look at American made televisions and then go to Walmart to buy an overseas
built TV and then complain about American jobs being shipped overseas. We
vote with our dollars, don't act surprised at the results of your own
actions.
TurboTrucker
2004-08-23 15:45:34 UTC
Post by Ramworker
Only in America will you find shoppers going into a Curtis Mathes store to
look at American made televisions and then go to Walmart to buy an
overseas built TV and then complain about American jobs being shipped
overseas.
Are you under some impression that these televisions are manufactured in
the United States? They aren't and haven't been for quite some time. Curtis
Mathes bankrupted in the late eighties or early nineties.
Post by Ramworker
We vote with our dollars, don't act surprised at the
results of your own actions.
I'm more surprised at your not knowing this...

There are no more US manufactured televisions.

~Tony~
Whitelightning
2004-08-24 20:02:45 UTC
Post by TurboTrucker
Post by Ramworker
results of your own actions.
I'm more surprised at your not knowing this...
There are no more US manufactured televisions.
~Tony~
Admiral TV closed the last television production plant in the US in 1992, I
bought two of the last US made tv's for Christmas presents for my kids from
Monkey Wards that year. Its a sad commentary on things in this country.
Whitelightning
Ramworker
2004-08-25 10:41:18 UTC
Post by Ramworker
We vote with our dollars, don't act surprised at the
results of your own actions.
I'm more surprised at your not knowing this...
There are no more US manufactured televisions.
And THAT was the example of the point I made. I didn't say there were any
US made televisions, are you clairvoyant? How could you possibly know what
I do or don't know? You assume too much from a very short post.
TurboTrucker
2004-08-25 16:34:53 UTC
Post by Ramworker
And THAT was the example of the point I made. I didn't say there
were any US made televisions, are you clairvoyant? How could you
possibly know what I do or don't know? You assume too much from a very
short post.
Hhhmmm...I used to think that I had a fairly good grasp on the english
language.

You wrote the following, to which I responded:

"Only in America will you find shoppers going into a Curtis Mathes store to
look at American made televisions and then go to Walmart to buy an
overseas built TV and then complain about American jobs being shipped
overseas."

Since there are televisions sold currently in America under the Curtis
Mathes product name, and since your reference to behavior appeared in the
present tense, and you used the specific words "American made televisions",
it wasn't too much of a stretch to see that you were confused.

Jobs being shipped overseas is a very current and hot topic of concern, so
that AGAIN tells me that you were speaking in present terms.

You'd be better to admit that you expressed your sentiments poorly or were
ignorant, as it appears you were, rather than to try to save face in the
manner above.

~Tony~
RobZip
2004-08-22 12:36:39 UTC
Post by Roughrider50
Things Found Only in America
Add to list : A Department of The Interior - that deals with everything
outdoors.
dopey
2004-08-26 22:00:43 UTC
Post by Roughrider50
Things Found Only in America
Only in America will you find a corporation that has made
it's billions by undercutting the locally owned and operated
businesses, treating trucks delivering to it's facilities like
horse manure, using their buying power to brutalize suppliers,
and put a yellow happy face on it all in their advertising.

Paul
KB Transportation, Inc.